Ciara Shanahan is the AIEB Coordinator. She is a qualified community work practitioner with 20 years’ experience of working in the community sector at local and national levels as well as several years’ experience working as a community work educator.
Ciara previously worked as the Equality for Women Measure Project Coordinator in both the National Traveller Women’s Forum and Galway Traveller Movement. She worked for 5 years as Assistant Lecturer and Fieldwork Placement Coordinator with the Department of Applied Social Studies, NUI Maynooth. Throughout her career she has worked on the issues of accommodation, education, and health with a particular interest in the needs of ethnic minorities and the impact of racism and sexism on people’s access to services.
Ciara is a voluntary board member of Domestic Violence Response, a community led organisation responding to the issue of domestic abuse in Galway city and county.
The membership of AIEB seeks to draw on the full range of relevant stakeholders from across the field, including community work and education and training for community work. It includes the endorsed institutions, professionally qualified and experienced practitioners, employers, funders and associated experts. It is an all-Ireland North/South body, and the board membership reflects this. Board members serve as individuals and in a voluntary capacity. AIEB is hosted by Community Work Ireland, the national community development organisation.
- Anastasia Crickley, Chairperson
- Hilary Tierney, Maynooth University
- Garreth Smith, Technological University Dublin
- Isobel Hawthorne-Steele, Ulster University
- Rachel Doyle, Community Work Ireland
- Stephanie McDermott, Carlow College
- Mairead Cluskey, Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
- Maria Farry, POBAL
- Catherine Forde, University College Cork
- Iryna Pokhilo, Cairde
- Michelle Kearns, National Traveller MABS
- Maria Joyce, National Traveller Women’s Forum